The Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS) survey has historically been conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics approximately every four years. The core survey is the most systematic and comprehensive source of national data on law enforcement. Approximately 3,500 agencies are randomly selected to participate in this survey. Agencies with more than 100 full-time sworn personnel are always selected into the sample.
Please select the Log In button below to access your survey.
Agency-specific surveys in pdf form are available after login. Preview versions of both the state and local police and sheriff’s survey are also available here:
LEMAS State and Local Police Survey
LEMAS Sheriff Survey
If you have any questions regarding the survey, please contact Ryan Weber toll free at RTI International at 1-833-997-2719 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have general project-related questions, please contact Kevin Scott of BJS at 202-616-3615 or Kevin.Scott@ojp.usdoj.gov.
2020 LEMAS Core Survey Schedule
Winter 2021 – Summer 2021
- BJS will send out a letter inviting law enforcement chief executives to participate in the LEMAS Core Survey
- Chief executives invited to participate in the LEMAS Core Survey will be asked to designate a point of contact who will complete the survey
- RTI will provide LEAs with access to the survey website and collect the survey data
Summer 2021 - Summer 2022
- Results will be processed and analyzed
- BJS and RTI will draft a report on survey findings
Summer 2022 - Spring 2023
- BJS will publish preliminary survey findings